Psychology : Careers

Career Information and Further Study

Skills gained in this program include:

Using insight to deal effectively with people; promoting good relationships with a group; applying knowledge of human needs/problems to counseling/crisis intervention; using interviewing techniques in investigative reporting, social service, or marketing research; conducting surveys and interpreting results; analyzing statistical data, using computers and assisting in lab research; conducting library research; and writing reports.

Transferable Skills:

Managing, interpreting, editing, advising, organizing, problem solving, detail orientation, writing, teaching, speaking to groups, reading critically, reasoning, analyzing, statistical analysis, ability to think conceptually, evaluating evidence, advising, selling, and observing human behavior.

Career Choices

The undergraduate degree in psychology does not make you a psychologist or professional counselor - it does provide you with an excellent liberal arts background and is valuable for almost any type of work focused on people.

Students who earn a BA or BS in psychology will be well-prepared for graduate study in psychology and related mental health fields, graduate study in medicine, education, law, or business, and other careers that require a good understanding of individual behavior and interpersonal relations.

There are many fine career possibilities, including: Advertising manager, behavior modification management, caseworker, child-care worker, clinical psychologist, college or university professor, community planner, computer programmer, counselor, (vocational, rehabilitation, probation, alcohol and drug), criminal justice (law enforcement, criminologist), educator, employment counselor, government programs and agencies, graduate school (all types, including law school, medical school, dentistry), guidance counselor, hospitals and mental health facilities, industrial management/business, medical technician, mental health worker, occupational therapist, personnel manager, probation officer, psychology aide/technician, public relations specialist, research/advertising, research assistant, research psychologist, sales, school psychologist social and community agencies, social worker, special education worker, teacher (elementary and secondary), therapist, vocational rehabilitation counselor and youth worker.

Work settings include:

Students with a bachelor's degree who pursue work after graduation typically work in aspects of business, government, health, education, and other areas requiring an understanding and sensitivity to behavioral dynamics. Approximately 40% of all psychologists in the USA and Canada work for business and industry, government agencies, hospitals and clinics or in private practice as well as clinical or consulting agencies. The other 60% are employed in colleges/universities, elementary and secondary schools.

Salary Information

Salaries range greatly from one occupation, position, and work setting to another. According to the 2005 NACE national salary survey for bachelor's degree graduates in psychology, the average salary was ,073, with salaries ranging from ,000 to ,000.

Additional Resources

Two excellent resources for current, detailed career information are:

Updated: 13 Nov 2012 06:02:10 EST