Explanation of Grades

The current grading system provides the following alternatives.

Grade Grade Points Interpretation
A 4.0 High Distinction
A- 3.67 High Distinction
B+ 3.33 Superior
B 3.0 Superior
B- 2.67 Superior
C+ 2.33 Average
C 2.0 Average
C- 1.67 Average
D+ 1.33 Minimum Passing Grade
D 1.0 Minimum Passing Grade
F 0.0 Failure
>F< 0.0 Failure for Reason of Academic Dishonesty
FX 0.0 Failure for Non-Attendance
(grade)H Grade points for the grade indicated prior to the H Honors
I/default grade None Incomplete*
J or Blank None Reporting error (temporary grade)
N None No Credit-Official Audit (arranged at time of registration)
P None Pass
R None Resigned Officially
S None Satisfactory
U None Unsatisfactory
W None Administrative Withdrawal
*** None No Credit/No Points
@ Not Applicable Course Repeated for Average
#grade None Fresh Start or Second Chance Program-Credit Hours Not Counted

* See Incomplete Grades section for explanation.

Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory Grading

Students may opt to have a course graded as S/U in lieu of the traditional letter grades by completing the Request for Undergraduate S/U Form by the end of the drop/add period for the semester.

Students cannot select S/U grading for any course that is required for their major(s), or is a prerequisite for their major(s) or general education requirements.

No more than 25 percent of a student’s UB credit can be graded S/U.

Instructors are not aware if students have selected the S/U option when they submit the earned letter grade. The Office of the Registrar will convert the letter grade to S/U for those students who have opted for S/U grading at the end of the semester. Students may recover the letter grade earned in a course graded S/U if: (a) that course is required for their major(s), or is a prerequisite for their major(s) to which they have changed; or (b) they can document that a graduate or professional school to which they have applied demands the letter grade earned. (Once recovered, the grade can not be reverted back to S/U grading).

The letter grades equivalent to “U” (unsatisfactory) are “C-,” “D+,” “D,” and “F”. Students who have opted for S/U grading and earn a “C-,” “D+” or “D” may petition their advisor to recover the letter grade if they wish to use the course toward degree requirements.

For S/U Grading Procedures, see the Office of the Registrar website at http://registrar.buffalo.edu/registration/policies/sugrading.php.

Pass/Fail Grading

Pass/Fail is an instructor-designated option for courses that do not lend themselves to traditional letter grades. The grade of “F” (failure) will be included in the GPA.

Incomplete Grades

A grade of incomplete (“I”) indicates that additional course work is required to fulfill the requirements of a given course. Students may only be given an “I” grade if they have a passing average in coursework that has been completed and have well-defined parameters to complete the course requirements that could result in a grade better than the default grade. An “I” grade may not be assigned to a student who did not attend the course.

Prior to the end of the semester, students must initiate the request for an “I” grade and receive the instructor’s approval. Assignment of an “I” grade is at the discretion of the instructor.

The instructor must specify a default letter grade at the time the “I” grade is submitted. A default grade is the letter grade the student will receive if no additional coursework is completed and/or a grade change form is not filed by the instructor. “I” grades must be completed within 12 months. Individual instructors may set shorter time limits for removing an incomplete than the 12-month time limit. Upon assigning an “I” grade, the instructor shall provide the student specification, in writing or by electronic mail, of the requirements to be fulfilled, and shall file a copy with the appropriate departmental office.

Students must not re-register for courses for which they have received an “I” grade

Applicable dates regarding the 12-month provision:

Courses taken in (semester): Will default in 12 months on:
Fall December 31
Spring May 31
SummerAugust 31

The “I” must be changed to a grade before the degree conferral date if the student plans to graduate in that semester. At any time prior to the default date, students may elect to change the “I” grade to the default grade using the Grade Retrieval Form.

A default grade can be "B," "C," "D," or "F." (If a student selected an S/U grading option, it will replace the default letter grade when the grade defaults.)

“J” or Blank Grades

A “J” or blank grade indicates a reporting error. Generally, reporting errors are corrected prior to the start of the next semester, however, a “J” or blank grade may occasionally remain on the student’s record. The student should immediately contact the instructor and/or department to correct the error; without correction, “J” and blank grades automatically default to “F” grades at the end of the following semester.

“N” Audit

Students may audit a class only by permission of the instructor by utilizing the Audit Form for Undergraduates (PDF). At the time of approval, instructors must communicate any conditions or requirements. Completed forms must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the 7th day of classes. The Office of the Registrar will automatically record the audit grade on the transcript.

Instructors may terminate a student’s audit status by forwarding a letter to the Office of the Registrar and communicating to the student the grounds for termination. If a student’s audit status is terminated by the instructor, the “N” will be changed to “R” and the student will be notified of the change. Students may not repeat for credit courses in which they have received an “N” grade.

Last updated: