Administrative Withdrawal from University Coursework

Students wanting to withdraw from the university after the resignation period must consult with their academic advisors for appropriate procedures, justification, and documentation to request an academic withdrawal (grade of “W”). Academic withdrawals are approved only in circumstances where impact to academic performance due to a personal or immediate-family medical event, disability, death, or active military service is documented sufficiently. In a policy approved by the Faculty Senate, requests for academic withdrawal that are based upon extraordinary circumstances are only considered for all the registered courses in a given semester. Requests for academic withdrawal made for selected courses in a given semester cannot be approved. Requests for academic withdrawal can only be approved if submitted within one semester of the event. If a student has already received a semester of academic withdrawals due to an ongoing medical event, he/she will not receive approval for a subsequent semester. However, if a student has received an academic withdrawal because of one medical event and then a different medical event occurs, such circumstances will be considered.

Additional information including specific registration procedures can be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

Last updated: